Monday, October 12, 2009

Why do some people insist that political parties are the be all do all for the health of the country. It's hard to have a conversation with many so called "education professionals" without the debate boiling down to "well you are a (enter political party here) so naturally you believe that". Seriously, are people so narrow minded that they believe that one party is made up of saviors and the other by evildoers.
Take health care reform for example. I have some concerns about where the President is taking this issue. I totally believe that the health care system is broken and insurance is crazy expensive. If I were to mention my objections to a person who is center to left of center, I am labeled a crazy Republican. "Why don't I just bring a machine gun to a rally" is the type of response I get. What a great retort, eh? Why does the guy who objects have to be a solid member of the opposing party? You may as well nail a RUSH bumper sticker to my forehead!
Nothing but absolutes and no room for middle of the road thinking prevail in these situations.

I am not scared of most politicians for I know that most are on the take but controls like public opinion and the re-election hook keep them more or less on the up and up. What scares me is the person who blindly accepts the party line and supports a platform without exception. These types of people, be them from the political left or right, are the narrow minded nutjobs that will tear this country down. Time after time, our nation has weathered tough times and when things get serious - I mean jeopardy of the nation serious - the moderates from the middle rise up to save the day. I just hope that begins to happen during the next few months - but maybe we haven't seen the tough days yet, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment